We Clean Up Well!
Tourism Cares volunteers made such a HUGE impact in Pensacola on March 29 & 30, 2012
Some key accomplishments:
At the Pensacola Lighthouse:
- 4000ft of fence was painted
- 5000 pickets were repaired and pianted
- 23 rooms covering almost 6000sq ft were painted
- Brush was cleared from an area covering 2400sq ft
- This brush was mulched and what could not be mulched filled a 25yd debris dumpster
- 660 jasmine were planted
- 48 azalea bushes were planted
- 2400 sq ft of flower beds were built
- 2 out buildings were painted
At Bayview Park, Bayou Texar:
- Planted 2,500 native salt marsh grasses along 600 feet of shoreline which will provide over 1/10th of an acre of lush intertidal estuarine habitat for a nearly uncountable number of marine organisms, while stabilizing the park shoreline and absorbing excess nutrients from rain runoff.
- Hand pulled 500-1000 lbs of root material from the invasive reed grass, Phragmites australis.
- Prepared an additional 500 square feet of intertidal area to be planted by removing Phragmites along the shoreline.
- Contributed nearly 200 hours of volunteer time
Check out some of the great footage of the day:
Pensacola News Journal
Pensacola News Journal – Photo Slideshow – Bayou Texar
ABC 3 - WEAR
And, make sure to LIKE us on Facebook to see some great photos!